Il Club Alpino Italiano (C.A.I.) [...] ha per iscopo l'alpinismo in ogni sua manifestazione, la conoscenza e lo studio delle montagne, specialmente di quelle italiane, e la difesa del loro ambiente naturale.Statuto del Club Alpino Italiano, Articolo 1
The Orobie (Bergamasque Alps) treks come to Google!
The Province of Bergamo and the Bergamo C.A.I. section have realized an ambitious project in order to promote and to set off the trail network and the Orobie (Bergamasque Alps) mountain huts thanks to the prestigious collaboration with Google Trekker View. Such initiative allowed - by Google Trekker View special 360 ° cameras - to map the paths that lead from the valley floor to the seventeen Bergamo CAI section’s mountains huts. The trekker, the technological rucksack used to map the paths while walking, came to the most beautiful peaks of the Bergamo Alps. You can navigate our valleys and mountains step by step, by your Internet connection, now.
Fans and tourists from around the world can now enjoy breathtaking views and unforgettable panoramas. Equipped with 15 cameras providing high-resolution images, the Trekker has been used in recent months to detect the paths and peaks of the Bergamasque Alps naturalistic area.
So, click the following link and enjoy the journey!
The touristic-hiking Chart of Bergamo’s Province is available
The Chart is available at the secretariat of Bergamo CAI section.
The chart consists of 13 tables (scale 1: 25.000) covering the whole territory of our province. It shows all the CAI trails and paths, all CAI Mountains huts as well as bike paths, private shelters... and so on.
In particular, it is possible to purchase a package including 9 tables showing the “Parco delle Orobie” (Park of Bergamasque Alps), the Brembana valley, the Seriana valley, the “di Scalve” valley, the areas surrounding Pizzo della Presolana, Mount Alben, Pizzo Arera, Mount Resegone, the “Sentiero delle Orobie” trail, the Curò Naturalistic trail and so on at a total cost of € 10.
info: tel number 035-4175475
web site: http://www.caibergamo.it/
Practicability of the trails
WARNING: These are the reports received about the practicability of the trails. Surely other routes may have damaged sections: in case, please report it (e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org). Thank You.
- Path 137: (“Ring of Fondra’s hamlets”). The stretch between Via Piana and Pusdosso is not accessible due to the eradication of trees that - for a long distance - completely block the passage. The access to the Via Piana hamlet is however possible but to complete the visit to the other hamlets (Cornelli, Foppa, Pusdosso and Forcella) you must go back and climb up the road OR climb from the trail that leaves Fondra (starting from the provincial road just past the bar). (August 18, 2017).
- Path 124B: Madonna delle Nevi Hut – Balicco Hut from is not accessible due to 2 fallen fir trees: they block the passage in the last stretch of the wood. To reach Balicco Hut it is recommended to use paths n° 124 and 124A (18 August 2017).
- Path 411: a transit ban was issued for all vehicles on the road leading to Pianezza (at the via Trebolt junction). The ban will be operational for Saturdays and Sundays of July and August 2017, every day from 12 to 20 August 2017 and 2 and 3 September 2017. During this period a shuttle bus service will be active, whose timetables and will be published on the website https://valdiscalve.it/
- The path 244 has a chain section not firmly anchored to the rock and is thus dangerous. It is also inaudible due to a sloping stretch. You are invited not to walk this path pending observation visits (April 26, 2017).
- Path 330 - Brunone Hut - Merelli al Coca Hut (rated: EE = Escursionisti Esperti /Experienced Hikers): the original track has been restored (Spring 2017). The stretch damaged by a landfall in 2011 was reopened and secured. The trail up to the ENEL well is in poor condition (the work done in previous years has been destroyed by weather) and, often, you walk along a track rather along a path. In the section from ENEL well (“il Pozzo”) to the Merelli at Coca Hut, extraordinary works were done to restore the the sloping stretches. It is a very special path, it must not underestimated because it is in a very wild environment and its being so verdant can mislead about the steepness of many points.
- The Path 323 from the Bocchetta del Camoscio to the pond of Valmorta presents demanding traits for the common hikers, to be tackled only by truly experienced hikers. It then features snow-covered stretches until late in the season requiring suitable equipment.
- Path N ° 270 (Roncobello - Mezzeno Lodge - "Gilberti" trail) is not accessible, there are numerous plants not accessible due to the steep terrain.
- Path 208 in the part between Lake Prato and Baita Armentarga has modified its path. Beware of signposting.
- Path 596: the variant climbing to the Corna Camoscera (classified EEA - experts with ferrata equipment) is not safe to travel. The ferry route is not guarded and controlled by the CAI which consequently does not assume any responsibility for the maintenance status and suitability of the equipment present. (August 2015)
A new service for smartphone/tablet users
For all hikers having a smartphone (or a tablet) who want to walk in the Orobie (Bergamasque Alps) is now available a new web service: it complements what is already offered by the Geoportal of Trails and Mountain Huts of CAI Bergamo.
It is possible, now, to display on your mobile device the detailed maps of bergamasque trails and mountain huts. Moreover, these maps can be easily queried in order to obtain all the information provided by our Geoportal (descriptions of each trail and of each mountain hut, the practicability of the trails… and so on).
On the side of the maps you can find the commands to change the map background, to look for a mountain hut, or a trail, or a place. You can even see your location on the map.
In fact, all these contents are already available on the CAI Geoportal but they are not optimized for smartphones and navigation is difficult using a mobile device.
Now, this new service - optimized for the displays of portable devices - allows you an easy navigation between pages and contents. Moreover, once you have activated the GPS, you can see your position on the map.
Note that this service is especially addressed to those who want to gather information for planning their hikes because it needs a data connection: keep in mind that in the Bergamasque Alps there are areas without coverage; consequently could be difficult (or even impossible) to use this service.
So, remember: it is not an app to download and install but is a web portal and requires a data connection. No registration required. Nothing else to pay to use it.
This new service (and the Geoportal of the trails and mountains of CAI Bergamo itself ) were realized - free of charge - by the GLOBO company (located in Treviolo, Bergamo http://www.globogis.it/). GLOBO is specialized in the world of geography and web portals. From 2011 it support us with great passion and with innovative services.
Orobie (Bergamo Alps) Geographic Portal
A portal designed for mountain lovers
A virtual guide, simple and clear, to the Orobie (Bergamo Alps): paths, shelters, trails, photographs, from mount Resegone to the Scalve valley, from the ridges bordering Valtellina to the plain of Bergamo.
Maps, to organize your own excursions
The WebGIS system displays paths and ascensions by different maps: intelligent maps, which you can query to get information about what you are watching. From each page, clicking on the “Map” signal, you can view the geographical location of the target content.
How it works
The portal interface is simple and intuitive but, if you want to know all the available features, you can take a look at the instruction page.